I guess that's one way for doctors to stay current...
Looks like Ireland is still crazy.
Doctors in Ireland had to remove 50 AA and other "cylindrical" batteries from the body of a 66-year-old woman who had swallowed them all on purpose, a recent article in the Irish Medical Journal says.
When doctors at St. Vincent’s University Hospital in Dublin first examined the woman, they didn’t know exactly how many batteries she had swallowed and how many remained in her body.
They were able to help her pass five AA batteries without surgical intervention, but x-rays showed 50 more large batteries were still there after three weeks of monitoring. The woman began complaining of widespread abdominal pain and loss of appetite.
Doctors decided to perform surgery on the woman’s abnormally swollen stomach and removed 46 batteries. They also found four more batteries in her colon.
. . .
The surgeries were a success, and the patient made "an uneventful recovery," doctors said.
"To the best of our knowledge, this case represents the highest reported number of batteries ingested at a single point in time," doctors noted in the journal.
There's more at the link.
Did she offer any resistance to treatment? And dare I presume that after the surgery, she was dis-charged from the hospital . . . to go ohm?